Thursday, October 30, 2008

Halloween

I was going to tell you all about my last two day s of acupuncture but I must discuss Halloween instead. This may surpise all of my friends and loved ones in the United States but I despise Halloween. What is the significance in the day, why do we pass out candy and let our children gorge themselves on candy for that evening? Three Halloween´s have passed without my children being any wiser to the sugar coma inducing evening. This year I indulged and am regretting it.

As I emailed a friend earlier; Roarke was "unbearable by 5:26 pm (I know because I looked at the clock), two hours and ten pieces of candy later...I was ready to snatch him bald" or something along those lines. By 7:45, Sebastian had punched two 4th graders in the testicles, he says they were threaating to hit him and his friend with a bat. Hmmm...I think if someone is coming after me with a bat I run to the safe place, not take time out to punch two boys in the balls and make a kid almost twice his size cry. Tenacity or assholisity? I am not sure. I was really looking forward to rearing the next Gandhi but it looks like my boys have other plans in mind, like Napoleon (Sebastian is not a tall boy after all) and the Bruiser (because Roarke is a tall boy). Great, my best hope right now is they will form THE rock and roll band for their time. Which leads me to my homeschool lesson of the week...

Since I cannot listen to the White Stripes EVERYDAY at 8am I thought to put different discs in the CD changer in the car. This week commences the education of quality alternative (one bordering on punk, hooray!), guitar heavy, fables in songs week. My choices were Sterophonics "Language.Sex.Violence. Other?" I know, the title makes me sound crazy, but the song Sebastian likes is "Superman" (you know, 7.75 year´s old) and the gist of the lyrics is shut the f*!# up, stop talking because you´re not doing anything. And believe me, I translate lyrics for the under 8 crowd so they can understand metaphor. We do it through explaining politics via "rock and roll" ideas. Hence the statement "George Bush is wrecking the planet" a la Sebastian. Then Isabel "George Bush is a very mean man and he doesn´t like other people to be happy." I really don´t know how they came to these conclusions! And yes, my children think Bono is a better man than the current President of the United States.

My second choice, Death to the Pixies disc #2. After digging out the Pixies, I was so happy. Yes, it makes me want to drive fast (which is an impossibility in Mexico), but Frank Black and the song "Debaser"!? Crikey, I can teach French Film criticism on that song alone (i.e. I am un chien Andalusia!). Now, that is my form of un-schooling, I guess Waldorf just needs to get my back for math and reading. I am teaching the poingnant stuff, right? Now go listen to the Pixies and this weeks classic alternative/possibly post punk music/Intro to French Film un-schooling adventure.



<

No comments: