Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Acupuncture 001

Okay, so my neck is still achy and i have 2 more sessions of acupuncture this week. In total I will spend about $600 MXP (which is less than $60 USD these days) for three days of acupuncture, I am putting a giant prayer out to the universe to help this heal my neck. To begin with Sandra, another Los Charcos mother, took a brief clinical history. You know diseases in the family, general health, blah, blah...after that she asked me to stick out my tongue. Sandra looked at my tongue for about 45 seconds "Um...hmm...now I will make your treatment." I don´t know what she saw on my tongue but her fingers found all the spots that ached intensely and she put the needles in.

With the 4th needle she put in, left shoulder blade, she hit this painful spot. All of a sudden there was a rush of pain up my shoulder blade to my head, my left ear got all tingly, then the crown of my head was tingly and super hot. I was starting to think, okay this really sucks or I´m having an induced Kundalini moment, when the colors in the room got really bright, my green shirt went electric green in front of me. Ten seconds later the pain was gone along with the color intensity. All the needles in my back were taken out, Sandra put one on the crown of my head, had me lie down and placed 4 more needles on me; the outer portion of both wrists and the outer portion below my kneecaps on both sides. I laid on the table listening to music, that sounded like Grieg, you know that gorgeous weeping emotive orchestral stuff, and waited 15 minutes for her to return.

While I´m laying there wondering about cellos and electric violins and new age music, I start to notice, crap the fingertips on my left hand feel like they are oozing painfulness. Might as well start praying with the new age music...pain leave my body through my fingertips, seep into this table, travel down the legs of this table and rest in the coolness of the concrete floor, let me walk over the worry the discomfort and keep on moving, for the sake of my children please make it go away (because I am not pleasant in my bitching to everyone right now!), sink my pain and sorrows in to the earth and plant a seed. Seeds hold within them the power of change, growth and wholeness...please let my nagging, irritating sorrow from pain become something else. So, I am waiting and going back tomorrow for more of my treatment plan. Now I need a smoking cessation acupuncture session I think.

When I came home to type this I kept hearing this soft banging noise. I knew I didn´t leave a window open because I checked all the windows 5 times this morning when I heard the same banging noise. So, I turn around. Perched in the office window on the metal grid of bars is this beautiful bird looking at me and pecking on the window. I have no idea what kind of bird it is, his breast is bright yellow, his face is white except for a blank band around his eyes (he looks like a bandit), and his beak is thick and black, maybe woodpeckerish. This bird we have seen hanging about for days in the window, in the tree out back and I wonder why has s/he come? Though I´m not a superstitious, I like the idea of signs. When I think of birds I think of migration, flow, weightlessness. Maybe this bird pecking on the window is saying I will take it, I will take your pain and carry it into the winds where it will disperse and not consume you, or anyone, ever again. Thanks little bird, you and Sandra gave me gifts today, even if the notions are of my own crafting, the power of positive thinking can get us all farther along than wallowing in fear, worry and negativity.

Better yet, maybe this bird is like the squirrel in "Little Acorns" by the White Stripes. Remember that post? I said I´m going to "be like the squirrel, take all my problems and carry them off in a shopping cart" (and if you haven´t listened to that song yet, go find it, it´s fantastic!). So, my bird friend is here to remind me, peck it apart into manageable pieces and go from there. Acupuncture and an interesting voyeuristic bird, that´s a very fine day!

1 comment:

godfather said...

I loved how the events of you day seemed to segue together. You are almost in sync, with that wonderful sense of euphoria. Bye bye neck pain!
I have a lot of euphoric daze!
They're so cool!