Thursday, September 18, 2008

Heavy Musical Interlude

This is a very heavy song by Tom Waits that has been heavy on my mind, "The Road To Peace". Though Waits is using old events in his political song to illustrate the fruitless nature of an eye for an eye, he causes me to think. How am I making a difference each moment, each day, every interaction I have? This song is another reason my failure to walk the road of peace with my children is so heavy on my mind, a parent works so hard to instill morals but ultimately our children construct their own value system. Unfortunately, their value system can be at odds with how they were reared, as is the case of one boy in this song. I know it´s hard to listen to Tom´s scratchy voice at first but his insights into this human existence are worth the effort. If you care to listen to more on struggling with eye for an eye justice, here you go. From the CD set "Orphans, Brawlers and Bawlers" one woman´s (not mine)representation of Tom Waits and his thoughts on the road to peace.

No comments: