Saturday, September 6, 2008

Apologies

I am going to go out on a limb and apologize for bringing up the issue of Sarah Palin´s downs baby. This is why, this whole issue is a deviation from the seriousness of this election. Two weeks ago this was a non-issue for this election year, then John McCain picks this obscure woman, from obscurity land with minimal experience in the political realm, Republicans go ga-ga, a woman on the ticket, a working mother! Guess what, we are all working mothers, and as my friend Laura points out the Dem´s already put a woman on the ticket in 1984, Ferraro. This means for 24 long years women of the Republican party have waited to be put on the ticket. Hmmm....hardly the party for progress and if this is the best you can do, then really, you CAN give me a break because this is a farce. So I am sorry I played right into the hand of Republicans by reacting the way they wanted me to react.

This is not hate rhetoric being spewed by an Obama supporter. This is me, a woman looking at the qualifications necessary for a serious job. My point about the downs syndrome kid was this; anti-abortionists (and I´m using anti-abortion not pro-life from now on because as I posted previously I don´t think all anti-abortion advocates are pro-life across the board, neither am I, I believe it is a woman's choice to have an abortion, and I believe the children in this world deserve a civil society which does not endorse war or turn our heads away as children starve globally, I´m leaving at that.) are so proud of Palin not aborting a child with downs syndrome. I will freely admit that the statistics of aborted fetuses with downs syndrome is very high, I have problems with breeding a perfect baby because as I tell my kids "you get what you get and you don´t throw a fit." But that definitely does not put me in league with Sarah Palin or mean I think she is again...qualified.

At some point we have to come to the political round table and recognize what is truly important in an election, yet every election we the American public turn a blind eye to GLOBAL ISSUES and fall hook line and sinker for the abortion issue. So...there is a global economic disaster headed our way (which we started, aren´t we fab!), child-trafficking all over the world, wars in Africa where children tote guns to kill and be killed, entire ethnic populations are cleansed globally, the price of rice had inflated by 75% in April of this year continuing to climb hence, death from hunger is on the rise. Yet let us insulate ourselves from these issues, and turn the election process into a sideshow based on Palin; her bangs, her downs syndrome baby, her gun toting, her pregnant teenager. I swear this is the sort of thing Karl Rove and his cronies would craft. Should you actually want to learn about the new crafters of the neo-con Republican Party click on the title of this post, it will take you to "Capitol Crimes" on Bill Moyers Journal at PBS.org.

Overall, I see the GOP as out of touch with the public. I believe the level of bigotry in the GOP party has always been out of control, I grew up in a sea of Republicanism so don´t even try to dispute that fact, I have ears that heard all the nasty words about gender, color, religion, and I will be forced to call you mis-informed if someone says otherwise. Do all the candidates have flaws, absolutely! But McCain/Palin I cannot endorse just because a vagina is on the ticket and am disappointed that once again, come election time we aren´t talking about the issues we all face everyday. REAL ISSUE: Jobs lost in August in the U.S. 84K, that leaves an unemployment rate of 6.1%, healthy economies need to see unemployment in the range of 3-4%. REAL ISSUE: $575 billion dollar war in Iraq. Our economy is sick and it needs fixing, that is a HUGE priority. McCain and Palin here is what I say; Sarah, honey, stay out of my vagina, I´ll stay out of yours. McCain if you can´t fix my pocketbook and can´t make peace but can make war, please excuse yourself and your precious puppet from center stage and fall back into oblivion, I need some real change in my life and Bush Light and Ms. Bangs aren´t doing it for me.

2 comments:

swaying mama said...

the one thing that has me now openly endorsing and working for obama was the fact that he said: family is off-limits and i'll fire anyone who brings it up from my team. THAT is staying above political mudslinging games.

i think there are enough real issues on the table that i disagree with on the mccain/palin ticket that i don't even need to go into her private family business to be outraged.

let's not make this about a woman's choices in her private life, but yes about her and her running mates history of votes/speeches/support for drilling in our wilderness, continuing a losing war that started with lies, ignorance of the fact that most US citizens are feeling very pinched and are not just hallucinating higher prices, less buying power, etc...

but please, biz, scope out some houses near you because if the repubs win in november, i think we'll be seriously needing to move away from here...
hugs
rachael

Elizabeth said...

planty of house here, the sub-prime crisis and credit crunch is affecting Mexico also. In addtion to the Mexican peso trading higher than the dollar. Living in out of the States while this catastrophe has evolved puts the Economy at the forefront for me, if others could see just how the U.S. has upset the balance...well, we welcome fello gringos. There is a Waldorf school here and I could a friend that speaks the language! use