Thursday, December 11, 2008

What Language are You Speaking?

Conversations with Roarke go something like this:

R: I don´t speak Englés?
Me: Really? Habla puro en Español?
R: No, I don´t speak Spanish.
Me: What language do you speak?
R: I speak ROARKE! I´m Roarke mommy!! (In his most exasperated, "gee you are really not smart mom!" voice.)

I laughed at how funny I thought he was. What would I call it Roarkish, Roarkese? Suddenly the lightbulb went off and I smashed it over my own head. We are speaking different languages, that is why my 3 year old argues with me...we simply do not understand the language the other person is speaking. How do I make it more clear, I´m speaking English, his native language. How on earth do I speak Roarkese?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

m sure he could hold a conversation with Chasie! ALthough, these days, chas doesn't speak as much Chasie. I bet he'd pick it up quickly again. :) These boys!