Monday, August 25, 2008

School Time!

This morning, Sebastian and Isabel headed off to school, can you hear me breathing a sigh of release? Roarke will be enrolled this week and go for his trial period to see if he can adapt to Waldorf and if Ireti, the maestra, can handle our little firecracker. Something in me says; "argh the kid is so energetic and used to freeplay he'll hate it!" The larger part of me says; "okay, Ireti is the kindest, most patient woman I have ever met an she will be a boon for Roarke's development"; and secretly (though not a secret anymore) I think; "they are going to kick him out of school and say 'go somewhere else!'" What I really think is that I am needlessly putting myself on edge over something so minor, best to let it go. How does one do that?

Most of the morning went well. Lots of mud and puddles to drive through on the way to school, there is a new road being built to the school, still a dirt road but new dirt (which the rain is washing downhill, smart! in this land of abundant concrete, why are roads not concrete?) and now there are two school buses, progress! Sebastian went to his room without a hitch, his maestro moves up in grades with the children, why isn't this done everywhere? You spend so much time getting your kid geared up for school, intitating a working relationship with the teacher and then boom, school is over go to the next grade, say good-bye to this teacher that knows you so well, and godspeed to the next teacher that you have no relationship with, whew, that was a vent! Instead, once in primary grades at Waldorf, teachers move with you and therefore know how to teach to a group while paying attention to the individual needs. I know that when my kids go to school their whole being will be attended to, what a blessing.

Isabel, that wasn't so easy, she did change maestras and classrooms, she wrapped her hands around my inner thigh and buried her head in my stomach refusing to move. She is one tough customer, Sebastian and I have been trying to sell her on her new teacher for over a month. Isabel loves crafting and projects so I baited her with that, Maestra Lucy will teach you how to knit! (Because your mama sucks at handcrafts!)You will get to sew and paint and be with friends instead of your cranky mother, won't that be fun!! It will for me, apparently, not so much for her. So, she refused to go to Ms. Lucy and went to Ireti, Santa Ireti, and I left her smiling but in the wrong classroom, with assurances she would end up in the right classroom.

Officially we are back in the swing of things, life seems much more purposeful with the start of school. Gone are the days of sleeping in until 8:00 in the morning and freeplay all day long, the every once in a while trips to town. I miss the sleepy days of summer vacation but now I don't feel like we are all free falling and have no idea what to do with ourselves, I'm enjoying a rythym.

P.S. No Photos, camera is a failed piece of modern techonology!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

have fun in your quite days ~ how is Isabel doing? was her 2nd day bettter than day 1? i hope so. Missing you as always...